Prof Development – Showreels
I’ve been researching showreels on YouTube and in Google search results. The conclusion I have come to is that like a CV you really need to put together a selection of showreels to showcase your skills and target a specific role or company – very much like a CV and covering letter.
Showreel Guidelines (Obtained from a variety of online sources)
Make the first 10 seconds of the showreel count – unlike other films don’t build up to a climax you need to make an impact in the opening of the showreel.
- Keep it short under 2 minutes
- Only show your best work
- Don’t put your contact details in the credits – put these on the DVD sleeve (Not sure why but this is what my research recommends)
- It should include supporting work – Personal Statement, links to websites, storyboard sketches, it’s best to put this all on the disk as documents can get separated/lost at the receiving end.
- Think about presentation (make it eye catching)
The showreel I edited together (above) is to showcase my camera work if I was targetting a photography role then I would put forward a selection of my photographs and most probably create a slideshow.
Online Information sources
- Computer Arts – Showreels a Dummys Guide click here