Specialist Project – Pre-production
Unlike pre-production for a short film, documentary requires a slightly different approach to pre-production.
For example it would not be possible to create full Storyboards for the complete documentary as without knowing in advance the subject and the location it would only be a guess at best but it is possible to do create some storyboards as a guide to the type of shots I would hope to record in an interview. It would also be possible to create storyboards for some of the B-roll.
Personally I find that when working alone, having total and sole control of the camera and filming I do not really need Storyboards as I’m very good at visualising what I want to see on video. I can really work just from a shot list, however if a team was involved I would use storyboards to convey my visualisation to the other member’s of the team so that they have an idea of what I am trying to achieve.
What is important is going armed to the interview with a list of questions and a shot list. You may have to be prepared to take the interview down a different path depending on the answers you get to your questions but make sure you get answers to your planned questions and get those shot list video clips.
I created a first draft of my interview questions and forwarded these onto my interviewee and to my classmates for feedback. From this feedback I then created another set of questions and again forwarded these on for feedback, which after some minor changes all agreed were acceptable and relevant.
Ben Interview Questions 2
- Did you always want to be an actor
- If not acting what was your second choice
- What influenced you or inspired you to study acting
- Who is your acting idol, who would you, love to work with.
- What’s it like being a Student and studying acting
- What have been the really good things – making new friends, social life etc.
- And the not so good – money worries, cost of living etc.
- What’s been your favorite production, what role did you play.
- What about the social life is it better than you expected
- What would be your ideal job at the end of University
- Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?
Ben interview shot list
- Mid shot – from side at reflection in the mirror (Majority of Shots will be like this – vary the distance?)
- Close up – Bens Face
- Extreme Close Up – just Bens eyes – make up being applied
- Extreme Close Up – just Bens lips – make up being applied
- Close Up – of Bens Hands
- Close Up – Paula’s Hands and makeup brush
- Close Up – Paula’s Makeup Kit
Related Blog Entries
- Specialist Project – The Conclusion
- Specialist Project – Post Production
- Specialist Project – Filming
- Specialist Project – Preproduction
- Specialist Project – Documentary Outline Updated
- Specialist Project – Filming with the iPad 3
- Specialist Project – Project Research
- Specialist Project – Learning Agreement (Draft)
- Specialist Project – Documentary Outline
- Specialist Project – Idea Development